Eric's Remac Ink Blog

Thanks for taking time to visit my weekly blog. Every Thursday I post what I hope is a thought provoking article that I hope will add value to your personal life as well as your business life. I hope that you will like it enough to like, comment and share with many of your friends and colleagues.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Trumping Tragedy

This week was a tough week for me.  A very dear employee, friend and woman left our company.  I wish I could take the blame or try to lay the blame for her departure but I can't.  I wish I could use this as a learning opportunity to evaluate what I did wrong so I can learn from it and do better next time.  Not in this case.  I wish that saying I wasn't going to concern myself with things that are out of my control were as easy to do as it is to say.  No matter what I think or do - no matter what anyone does or thinks, even she is powerless to undo the sad truth of the situation.  She has terminal cancer. 

As we go through life we see and hear many stories that break our hearts.  I don't think I've experienced one this close.  We also see stories that inspire us and make us better people having known about or of the person or situation.  Due to mine and everyone who called her a member of our Remac Family's incredible fortune we have seen both in the same person over the last several months since her diagnosis was confirmed.  My heart has been broken and touched - and my life will be better as a result of going through this situation with her.  I have only had the good fortune of knowing her for 4 years - and I am grateful I had that long.

I started writing the above post the middle of last month - and never finished it.  Since that time our Dear Friend sadly lost her brief struggle against the horrible disease we call cancer.  While we have mourned her loss we rejoice to know her struggles are over and her pain is gone.  The ones who are hurting are those of us she has left behind.  We miss her terribly and try to comfort ourselves knowing she is at rest and at peace.  Even though we don't completely understand it.

No one said life is easy.  We all deal with difficulties of all shapes and sizes.  Some are just daily bumps we need to move past and some are life changing.  With the grace and courage that we saw exhibited in our friend I have resolved to live every day this year in a way that makes others glad that they know me and leaves people, places and things better off than before I encountered them.  I can't recommend this lifestyle change enough.  Perhaps you know someone who elicits these feelings in your life - I hope we all know at least one.  Better yet, why not be that type of person?  Not a day goes by where I don't make mistakes and don't wish I had done things differently but I am determined to overcome those obstacles.  It seems rather minor in light of what some people have to deal with. 

I have more energy, determination and purpose that at any time in my life.  I know that I am much more productive and much more goal driven.  It is exhilarating and it is a lot of work.  I am happier than I have ever been and I am sleeping better than I have for as long as I can remember.  It seems to me I am living the life I was created to live.  Being who I am supposed to be is a great feeling. 

There have been many factors that have gone in to how and why I have arrived at this place.  Not the least of which is the impact that my friend had on my life.  Who, or should I ask how many, will be glad to say that they know you and that you are part of their lives?  That's something worth living for!  Today and every day that we are alive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment