Eric's Remac Ink Blog

Thanks for taking time to visit my weekly blog. Every Thursday I post what I hope is a thought provoking article that I hope will add value to your personal life as well as your business life. I hope that you will like it enough to like, comment and share with many of your friends and colleagues.

Friday, January 25, 2013

I wish I was 13

This past weekend my wife and I had a sleep over with eleven 13 year old seventh grade boys.  We agreed for the second year in a row to be a host home for a group of young men from our church who were having a weekend retreat between church and our house.  I have certainly had my fill of pizza, chips, soda, cookies and any other food that would make a teenage boy stay up until the wee hours of the morning and clog the arteries of a "middle aged" guy trying to act like he's still a teenager.  They arrived Friday night and we took them up to church Sunday morning for services.  We ate a lot, laughed a lot, prayed a lot and slept very little.  Man, I miss those guys! 

Don't feel too sorry for me - I have three teenagers of my own to keep me company.  They came home Sunday afternoon from other people's houses where they spent the weekend.  There was a lot of napping going on Sunday afternoon during the football games. 

It wasn't that hanging around with teenagers was an unusual experience, as previously mentioned.  It is a little unusual to have eleven 13 year olds amped up on sugar and adrenaline spending the weekend.  Boy, did my house go from chaotic in the morning to tranquil in the afternoon.  As with everything, there were lessons to be learned from the weekend.  I will avoid any religious discussions and focus on the life lessons I learned.

I try to always be thought provoking and insightful with my posts.  This week, I have to confess I don't believe I am either.  I do believe, however that we can all learn from any situation we find ourselves in.  This weekend for me was no exception.  Here are the huge take aways I am focusing on this week and encourage you to do likewise:
  • Laugh more
  • Worry less
  • Have fun
There you go.  Aren't you glad you read through a few hundred words to get to that?  It sounds so simple.  But I ask you, honestly, can you say that you have these things nailed down?  Not me.  It hasn't revolutionized my life this week but it sure has made it more fun by following these three little guidelines.  I still have pressures, problems and responsibilities.  I also have a much better handle on how to deal with them.

This weekend, go laugh a little.  Don't focus on your worries - count your blessings.  Among mine are my eleven new friends who taught me a thing or two.  I wonder what they're doing this weekend?



No comments:

Post a Comment