Eric's Remac Ink Blog

Thanks for taking time to visit my weekly blog. Every Thursday I post what I hope is a thought provoking article that I hope will add value to your personal life as well as your business life. I hope that you will like it enough to like, comment and share with many of your friends and colleagues.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The first Personal Mission Statement

Last week I discussed the Scout Law.  Certainly a list of ideals that we wish every American would follow more judiciously.  Our country would be a much better place to live if we all did.  To wit and in review: A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Thrifty, Cheerful, Brave, Clean and Reverent. Characteristics we could all stand to develop in the New Year.

This week, let's focus on the Scout Oath: On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.  I challenge you to find a better personal mission statement that has more compelling desired outcomes than that one in only a couple of sentences. 

As I said last week, despite the negativity that has surrounded the BSA in the press the last several months I am a weekly participant in a Boy Scout troop as the parent of a Scout, a Merit Badge counselor and a camp out assistant.  My point is I have a bird's eye view of what it means to be a Boy Scout.  My only regret is I wish I would have participated when I was a teenager. 

For example, this fall I taught a merit badge class to a group of primarily 12 and 13 year old boys.  The class was on personal management.  I guided boys through topics and exercises on setting budgets, investing money, borrowing money and time management.  Man, I wish I would have had someone spend time with me learning all that these boys learned when I was their age.  As I told them weekly, they are life skills that they can use even when they get to be an old guy like me. 

It's about that time of year when we all take stock of our accomplishments over the past year.  Then we turn our attention to those things we wish to tackle in the New Year.  I have a list of things this year that is ambitious, inspiring and makes me a little uncomfortable - on purpose.  I know that even if I only accomplish a portion of what I intend to do that 2013 will be a great year.  I can't wait to get started.

Before I do, though I want to take time to work the Scout Oath in to my consciousness so that while I am attempting to do all that I have set out to do that I do it in a way that feels right.  Let's see, on my honor, do my best, my God, my Country, obey 12 tenants of Scout Law, help other people, physically strong, mentally awake, morally straight.  Yep, that should do just fine.

Last year the Boy Scouts celebrated their 100th anniversary.  I may not be the smartest guy to ever go to a Boy Scout meeting but even I can figure out that things of value always last.  Times have changed and our culture presents both tremendous opportunities and challenges, even for organizations like the BSA.  Their message has never changed.  And it is just as relevant for all of us today and every day in the New Year as it was 100 years ago.  Happy Scouting!

No comments:

Post a Comment