Eric's Remac Ink Blog

Thanks for taking time to visit my weekly blog. Every Thursday I post what I hope is a thought provoking article that I hope will add value to your personal life as well as your business life. I hope that you will like it enough to like, comment and share with many of your friends and colleagues.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Better Together

Last weekend I had a chance to do one of those things I talk about a lot.  I set aside my schedule for the greater good.  Here in Dallas, where the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization is headquartered there is a three day walk held every year to raise awareness and money to fight the  horrible disease that has affected us all - breast cancer.  Through contacts with a local woman who I'll affectionately call CC our company was motivated to get involved in the "3 Day" as it's called here by setting up a cheering station for the hundreds of people participating.  More about that shortly.

Saturday was one of those November days you can only get in Dallas.  Cloudless, sunny and about 85 degrees.  Perfect weather for an afternoon outside to facilitate the impromptu tailgate party we threw to coincide with our cheering station.  Not so perfect weather if you are walking 20 miles for the second day in a row with another 20 staring at you for Sunday.  My family, associates and new friends we met by partnering up with another group of CC's friends and supporters had a great time.  Some of the walkers looked a little worn out, frankly as we were stationed around mile 16. 

I got to see some old friends I knew that were participating and I got to encourage hundreds of people who were an encouragement to me.  It was hard to ignore the t-shirts, pins and other paraphernalia that indicated who or whom the people were doing the walk for.  Some who had previously lost the fight and some who continue to battle on.  That was the sobering part and the part that caused me to introspectively consider what a great event I was witnessing and getting to participate in, even if only in a very small way. 

It got me thinking how much good we can all do if we set aside our differences and focus on the big picture and the things that matter most.  I happened to have on a shirt representing my college alma mater - which drew some cheers and a few jeers from the passers by.  There was every race imaginable participating and in attendance with our group.  Different political, religious and socio-economic groups, no doubt.  All in one place.  All in the name of making a difference for us all. 

This week we elected and re-elected those who will govern us for the next several years.  From a political and ideological standpoint our country is more divided than at any time in her history.  And yet we all share many of the same desires, hopes and dreams.  None of us will ever forget 9/11.  Out of the horror and tragedy of that event was the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed in my life.  Sadly, it only lasted a few short weeks.  And those days have long since ended.

For a few brief weeks we all set aside our differences.  We realized that in the end we are all one people, one land and one nation under God.  I long for those days when we all will work together as one for the greater good of our friends and neighbors, despite our differences.  Last weekend I got a small glimpse of it and realized again that we are Better Together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment