Eric's Remac Ink Blog

Thanks for taking time to visit my weekly blog. Every Thursday I post what I hope is a thought provoking article that I hope will add value to your personal life as well as your business life. I hope that you will like it enough to like, comment and share with many of your friends and colleagues.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Storm Troopers

We live in a time of great opportunity and great blessings all around us that we oft times take for granted.  Sometimes our fortunes are recognized when through crisis or concerns our routines become anything but.  Great health is something I have become especially grateful for because the older I get the more I see people who don't have it and realize how fortunate and/or lucky I am.  A couple of years ago spending ten days in a hospital has made me much more appreciative and determined to live a healthy(er) lifestyle and be grateful than I am a generally healthy person.

Which got me thinking this week, how do we handle the storms that come to us from time to time?  Some of you may be in the midst of a horrible storm and see no way out right now.  We've all been there and can sympathize with you.  I am always amazed in nature how a storm of incredible force can wreak havoc for a time but then when it's over the sun returns and the peace and calm is more evident than before the storm hit.  Isn't it true in our lives as well?  In fact, like a tree bent by the storm's fierce winds when it's over with we become stronger and more deeply rooted in ourselves and our resolve to see the storm through the next time it comes.

There are those who even in the midst of incredible challenges remain calm, cool and collected and others who flip out at the first sign of trouble.  My wife is and always has been a calming force in my life and able to accurately see things as they are whereas I have a tendency to worry and imagine things to be worse than they really are.  It's only taken me twenty-something years but I am realizing the need to imitate her more closely and try to become less of a worry wart every time something doesn't go my way. 

Not only does she see things and situations more clearly but she almost always makes better decisions and has more wisdom and peace about situations than I do.  I am starting to think that all of these character traits must work together to make something very good.  And I am starting to observe the things I need to do to become more even keeled every day.  I wonder if like me some of these character traits would be helpful for you.  Here is a list of things I am working on:

Be(come) a great listener:  This is a lost art but is absolutely necessary if you're going to accurately asses a situation and form accurate opinions about the best course of action.

Evaluate a decision from multiple points of view:  Instead of rushing in to a decision or conversation take time to evaluate the opportunities and obstacles from not only your perspective but those of others you trust.

When is as important as what:  Sometimes we have to make "gut decisions" based on present circumstances.  Many times it's better to step back from a storm and take time to make the right decision instead of the first thing that comes to mind.

Wisdom: If you don't have someone who challenges you to become a better person and always seems to have the answers, start looking for one.  There is incredible value in being able to have a sounding board to listen to you and challenge you to think in new and different ways.

Patience:  How many stories can we think of throughout history, business and even fictional stories where those who have rushed in to a storm didn't survive and were perceived as fools?  Conversely, those who perhaps dealt with great internal struggles yet perservered and solidified their ideas and plans of action are the ones who eventually won the victory.

In to every life a little rain must fall.  The person who is best prepared is the one who most easily weathers it and is often the person we admire the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment