Eric's Remac Ink Blog

Thanks for taking time to visit my weekly blog. Every Thursday I post what I hope is a thought provoking article that I hope will add value to your personal life as well as your business life. I hope that you will like it enough to like, comment and share with many of your friends and colleagues.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Sad Lost Art

I read recently that studies have shown that most people lie at least once during a 10 minute conversation. Worse yet, the research suggests when communication takes place by computer deception rises to an even greater level. For example, a recent study of undergraduate students at the University of Massachusetts Amherst revealed people conversing by email told FIVE TIMES as many lies as people speaking face to face. Further the study pointed out people are much more self-serving with their email lies than those told face to face. For those of us who read hundreds or thousands of emails a week ponder those facts and figures for a few minutes. I'd like to think that the people that I interact with don't fall in to this category but I wouldn't want to be caught lying either.

I fear this study has little to do with an isolated academic experiment and says more about the overall sad state of the moral fiber of this country and our lackadaisical approach to the truth. We are told by society that the truth is relative and that there are no moral absolutes (which in itself is a statement of such - think about it) and as long as no one gets hurt it's ok to bend the truth every now and then. I am convinced that this is not only a reason why buyer-seller relationships have become increasingly strained in recent years but I would argue there are a number of other unhealthy side effects such as stress and anxiety that plague society as a whole today as a result of "relative truth."

My dear grandfather passed away one year ago this week. He lived well in to his 90's and almost never had a bad day in his life. Seriously. He was a man's man and he was a devoted and loving husband to his wife and even though his little girls were both grandmothers themselves they still called him "daddy" until the day he died. There was much to admire, respect and love in that man and we could sure use a few more like him. If I used one or two words to try to describe the amazing man he was the first two words that come to mind are honesty and loyalty. His word was gold. Period. It was backed up by a loyalty to his family, his work, his friends (he never knew a stranger) and his Creator. In the 40 plus years that I had the privilege to be his grandson I can count on one hand the number of times I saw him get angry, raise his voice or show frustration or disappointment.

What does all of this have to do with us and to interacting with customers and co-workers? Everything. Think about people you know, work with or live with who you know always speak the truth. Even and especially if it hurts. I don't know about you but if I ever need help with anything these are the people I seek out first in my life. I bet you do to. I bet the people you work and do business with do too. Getting the picture? I would much rather do business with someone I trust and know that is going to put my goals and interests ahead of their own needs to tell me only what they want me to hear so they can serve their own interests.

So I am asking you the same question. Tell the truth. Would you want to do business with yourself? It's never too late to change and it's never too late to use the Golden Rule. I am thankful I had a shining example in my life to show me the way. Will you do the same? If so, someone may write about you after you're gone. Honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment